We lately documented HDD lifetime expectations that were being analyzed by the firm Backblaze. The HDDs had been analyzed in excess of close to ten decades, with capacities ranging involving 4GB to 14GB and higher. Now, the business unveiled an evaluation of really hard generate stats for the 2nd quarter of this calendar year to locate out the failure level of the HDDs that the organization takes advantage of. Key push companies, this kind of as Seagate, HGST (now under the Western Electronic manufacturer after acquisition), and Toshiba. The corporation also states that it will focus on SDDs afterwards this yr.
Backblaze reveals HDD statistics for the 2nd quarter of 2022
As of the conclusion of the 2nd quarter of this yr, Backblaze was observing 219,444 HDDs and SSDs in the company’s knowledge facilities through the entire world. The evaluation, four,020 are used as boot drives, splitting in between 2,558 SSDs and one,462 HDDs. In their most current report, Backblaze focuses on the details drives underneath management — 215,424 to be actual — and opinions the quarterly and life time failure charges.
The first aspect of their analysis testimonials the life time failure rates of HDDs. Backblaze removed 413 HDDs from the observation. The exclusion is for the reason that individuals drives have been utilized for screening or had been in drive models that did not sustain up to 60 drives. The hard drives will be split into 20-seven HDD types, with a full of 215,011 HDDs analyzed for the report.
Some observations that Backblaze notes in their study is that the “lifetime annualized failure fee for all the drives outlined higher than is 1.39%. That is the exact same as last quarter and down from one.forty five% a single 12 months in the past (six/30/2021).” They located that the annualized failure level noted that 3 specific drives had the optimum failure level amongst the twenty-seven analyzed.
- The 8TB HGST (product: HUH728080ALE604) at six.26%.
- The Seagate 14TB (product: ST14000NM0138) at four.86%.
- The Toshiba 16TB (design: MG08ACA16TA at 3.fifty seven%.
The 3 stand out from the remainder of the drives analyzed mainly because the sample sizes ended up constrained compared to some others. The charges meant that the minimal and high confidence interval values have been intensive and that the three drives were a lot less dependable for the assessment.
In the below chart, Backblaze has eliminated HDDs with what they contemplate “broad self-confidence intervals” and has only listed drives that were being quickly obtainable to all buyers.
The pursuing table lists the total success of the analysis, alongside with notable factors.
- The 6TB Seagate HDD drives (design: ST6000DX000) at last experienced a failure this quarter—actually, two losses. Provided that this is our fleet’s oldest generate design with an typical age of 86.7 months of service, a failure or two is anticipated. Still, this was the initial failure by this drive product considering the fact that Q3 of past calendar year. We hope these drives to be cycled out in the upcoming, but with their life time AFR at just .87%, they are not very first in line.
- Our collection’s subsequent oldest push cohort, the 4TB Toshiba drives (MD04ABA400V) at 85.three months, experienced zero failures for Q2. The very last failure was recorded a 12 months ago in Q2 2021. Their life time AFR is just .79%, despite the fact that their life span self confidence interval hole is 1.3%, which we have found indicates we absence enough information to be actually self-assured of the AFR range. Even now, they could past another 97 decades at a person failure for every year—probably not.
- 3 other drives had zero failures this quarter: the 8TB HGST (design: HUH728080ALE604), the 14TB Toshiba (model: MG07ACA14TEY), and the 16TB Toshiba (model: MG08ACA16TA). As with the 4TB Toshiba famous above, these drives have in depth self esteem interval gaps pushed by a restricted range of facts points. For case in point, the 16TB Toshiba had the most travel days—32,064—of any of these travel versions. We have to have at minimum 500,000 drive days in a quarter to get to a ninety five% self confidence interval. Nevertheless, any of these drives may well carry on to write-up great numbers in excess of the coming quarters. We are just not ninety five% self-assured nonetheless.
- The 4TB Seagate drives (ST4000DM000) display their normal age at eighty.3 months. They have served us nicely, but they appear drained following practically 7 yrs of continual spinning. Their quarterly failure fee has amplified each of the past 4 quarters to three.forty two% this quarter. We have deployed our drive cloning plan for these drives as component of our details toughness software, and in excess of the following various months, we will cycle these drives out.
- In Q2, the AFR elevated to 1.46% for all drive types mixed. It is up from one.22% in Q1 2022 to 1.01% a 12 months ago in Q2 2021. The getting old 4TB Seagate drives are aspect of the increase, but the failure costs of each the Toshiba and HGST drives have also increased more than the past year. It seems to be linked to the aging of the complete travel fleet, and we be expecting this quantity to go down as more mature drives retire over the upcoming calendar year.
You can see far more in-depth descriptions in their report listed here.